Friday, October 30, 2009

The Macallan - or - gimme more scotch!

I know it's hard for you to imagine, but despite my impeccable and dapper appearance I know next to zilch about Scotch.

KNEW next to zilch.

A marketing company was in touch and spoke to me about attending a Scotch tasting. Booze + me? Didn't take long to accept (poor planning on my part, Rap's home opener that night).

Brought a couple of buds and sat down for some tasting.


Here's the thing about tastings. You learn a lot. It's nothing that I'm likely to repeat in front of friends because that's just a bit pompous, no? But it is very interesting and if ever your friends are patiently waiting to cheers, toast and imbibe, you can piss them off by slowing down that process; explaining that the casks were air-dried and then filled with sherry for a couple of years etc...which they will inevitably not give a shit about.

So what should you give a shit about? Buying me the best damn scotch I've ever had. Macallan 18 year.

We tried the 12 year, 15, 18, and 21. The reaction was all the same: 18 won. Our scotch teacher for the night (who was amazing and has the best job in the world) reminded us that saying one scotch is better than another is stupid as it's subjective, but seriously...this is pretty damn good.

So if you're looking to buy me any presents this year, how about a little tipple?






















The Macallan Man and his ice-sphere - my new hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment